Living in New Jersey reminds me quite often that I'm an American whose family rarely talked about their heritage. We weren't from Scotland or Holland. We were from Indiana. We weren't ethnic. We were Methodists. We didn't visit family in Germany or England. We went to Florida to see our family. When I meet people up here who are first or second generation Americans I wonder how long it will be before they don't have family in Puerto Rico or Syria or Mexico who they visit on a regular basis. I wonder how long until they say they're from New Jersey instead of from D.R.
Today we went to Chuck E. Cheese's for a birthday party for a little girl whose mother I work with. We get along well and have a great time together at work. We were the only ones there who weren't ethnically or racially different. We're white. Period. It was interesting though and I didn't mind or feel odd. We had a good time (but I hope I don't have to go back to Chuck E. Cheese's again anytime soon since it's so loud!).
And the beat goes on. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Interesting thoughts......cannot help but wonder at the cost of going back to visit family in other countries.
And when will they learn our language?.....grrrr.
And I have not been to Chuck-E-
Cheese for over 20 years and it is still a clear memory of loudness!
Post a Comment