We drove up to Riverdale, a small town where we go about once a week because they have a Walmart, a Target, Borders - places I enjoy visiting two or three times a month. The route is through small mountains which are covered with trees and I could tell a big difference in the colours on the trees between last Saturday and today. I saw other trees as I was driving up Route 208 that were bright orange; trees right next to others that were still green. I used to love autumn even though in Florida we didn't have much of a season change, of course. I loved the slight change, subtle but apparent if you knew what to look for. Here it's dramatic in comparison, and it will be more dramatic when the leaves start to fall and the trees I see across the street from my living room window will be barren within weeks.
Autumn means everything is dying? Or resting? Or changing in preparation for cold and snow and wind? I always thought I missed the seasons for the 40 years I lived in Florida. But now I'm not so sure. I'm not sure if I like any of the seasons. I know I don't like winter. Snow is beautiful as it falls but a mess within hours of it stopping. Cold air is not refreshing by any means. Spring should be wonderful, shouldn't it? And some of it is. I love the daffodils and the lilacs. I love seeing the leaves coming back onto the trees again. Summer has its richness but I get tired of hearing people around me complain about how hot it is.
So what do I like? Maybe I like subtle seasons better than what I'm experiencing here.
But those bright orange leaves are incredibly magical.
And life goes on. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment