September is here even though it still feels like August. But it's September and that's okay. This past week-end, Labor Day week-end, we were in Florida at the wedding of one of my many nephews. We flew into Tampa on Friday and then drove over to St. Pete for the rehearsal dinner which was at the same place where we had lunch after my mother's funeral when all the nephews were there. It was wonderful to see my brother again since I saw him so briefly at Patrick's wedding last April. The rehearsal dinner was festive and I had grouper (which I absolutely love and can't get up here) and my sister Susan and her husband were there, of course. It was great. My sister Dianne didn't come to the wedding since it was so close to the opening of school and she would've had to do so much traveling to get there. We missed her but totally understood.
Russell and I stayed in Bradenton with Susan and Charlie. The rental car had a flat tire Saturday morning so I had to deal with that and then get a different car. Fortunately we had enough time but let me tell you something - it was HOT HOT HOT. Florida is always hot and humid and I know this but it was particularly hot because Hurricane Gustav was heading north, going past us and sending some of that hurricane heat and humidity our way. My hair got so huge with curls. I'd forgotten how curly it got. I hope I never see a picture of myself on that day.
The wedding was Saturday at one o'clock in St. Pete. Ryne and Elyse looked very happy and content with their special day. A small reception in the fellowship hall at the church. This was held at the church where my father served from 1963 to 1968. I loved living in St. Petersburg and miss it even 40 years later. Strange, huh?
Went back to Susan's and went out to eat. Sunday was very breezy with gusts of wind up to about 4o mph as Gustav went by. Susan and I sat outside by her pool and got some sun and read and talked. It was a lovely morning even though the sun wasn't out all the time with the clouds being pushed past constantly. I swam but didn't go underwater since I was still nursing an earache (still am, as a matter of fact). I miss swimming. Miss my pool in Vero. I feel so content in the water.
I had very little, if any, anxiety while we were there. Being in Florida? Swimming? Being with family? I don't know. I just know that there were none of those brain farts and no feelings of wanting to hide away. Maybe I need to visit my sister more often and see the beauty I left behind when I came to NJ? Driving over the Sunshine Skyway and seeing the beautiful bay, the pelicans, the dozens of people fishing. It was a wonderful feeling to see all of that again. I miss it a lot.
Something to think about, I guess.
And the beat goes on. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment