When I was in elementary school we always had a Valentine's Day party. I lived in Northern Indiana from the time I started school through 5th grade. I can remember going across the street to Tuesley's Drug Store and picking out my box of valentines. We would bring a valentine in for everyone in our class, even if we didn't like the person. I loved signing them and addressing them, choosing the right card for the right person.
It was always cold on Valentine's Day and since we often got lake effect snow, we usually had snow of some sort. I can remember walking to school on Valentine's Day, carrying my valentines to give out when I went to school and carrying the valentines I had received on my way home. I wish I still had those valentines. Their shapes weren't squares or rectangles like the ones you get now and they didn't have things like Barbie and Ken or Sponge Bob Squarepants. They were shaped like cut-outs, the shapes of hearts and animals and other things that were on the valentine.
We moved to Florida after my 5th grade year and things were a little different there. Everyone didn't give you a card and the party was low-keyed and quiet, but it was still there. After elementary school there were no more Valentine's Day parties. Junior High is a lot different. If you had a Valentine then you got a card from him. Otherwise, it was just a day to say Happy Valentine's Day to people you liked.
I have a Valentine of my very own now, of course. And when I got up this morning there was a large bag of Lay's potato chips with my card and a CD that he had wrapped all by himself. The potato chips made me laugh (long story), and the CD made me smile - he remembered that I'd said I didn't have a Linda Ronstadt CD and got me her greatest hits.
I like having a Valentine. Makes me smile and feel good all day long.
Happy Valentine's Day to you! :o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Before Dog had me, he was very lonely and did not really like this holiday so much. Now that we have been together as an actual couple for a little over two years, he has found he likes it very much. This year I got quite a few nice gifties, including roses, candy, a ruby in a gold heart pendant.
Valentine's Day is very nice because it gives us a day to do the things we think about doing for the love of our life. I like that. :o)
Post a Comment